Toilet roll crafts
Toilet roll crafts are easy and economical preschool craft projects. Give your kids some toilet rolls and some craft templates or bits and pieces of recycled materials, and be marveled by your kids' creativity.
If you worry about hygiene using toilet rolls, you may like to pre wrap it with kitchen foil paper. Children love the shine and when you unload the many shiny rolls from your bag, you can see the delight in their eyes even before they put their little hands into this preschool activity.
Toilet Roll Crafts - Musical Instruments
- Toilet rolls
- Sheets of craft papers
- Uncooked rice grains/ small beans
- craft glue
- Scrap Papers/Magazines/Recycled materials
- Table Mat
- To have further practice with application of glue and pasting
- To enhance creativity
- To improve eye-hand coordination
- To learn to use recycled materials
- To have fun
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
- Show a sample if you're doing it for the 1st time
- Give each child a toilet roll
- Display the recycled materials on the table
- Explain that they are going to make a musical instrument out of the recycled materials
- Explain the advantages of using recycled materials
- Introduce the shaker as a musical instrument and its use
- Fasten one end with a piece of round paper trimmed for easy foldover- see "How to make foldover" below. This can be done by older kids or the teacher.
- Fill the tube with some uncooked rice grains
- Fasten the other end in like manner.
- Have the kids paste a piece of plain construction paper around the toilet roll
- Encourage the kids to draw patterns on it with lines, spots, patches...etc or paste craft items, like beads, stickers, recycled magazine pictures...etc
- If you want to attach a string to it, you'll have to do it prior to closing the ends
- For a bigger / longer shaker, use paper towel rolls
- For 3D decorations, use beads, alphabet pasta, strings...etc
- To make it into a baby rattle, use baby gift wrap
- Use other containers, eg, a slim round biscuit tin may be made into a tambourine. Add ribbons and tassles.
More toilet roll crafts idea
- Pets - cut out the parts of the body from pictures of the kids' pet dog or cat...etc and stick it to the roll, the roll being the body
- Buildings, skyscrappers, towers - stack the rolls on top of one another, colour / wrap it black, then add rectangular stickers as windows
- Rockets - make a top and a stand and decorate it into a rocket
- Binoculars - use 2 rolls and stick it side by side, paint it black - ideal for drama and skits.
How to make foldover to cover the ends of the toilet roll.
- Trace a circle from the toilet roll
- Draw a bigger circle around it - just do it freehand
- Snip off triangles around & fold down the rectangular part
- Apply glue on each rectangle and paste onto the roll.
Christmas Crafts - snowman, christmas tree.... edible crafts...etc
Preschool Crafts ideas - Paper crafts, collage, handprint, paints...etc
Preschool Art - Finger painting, Mirror image, vegegable prints....etc
Preschool Activities - Indoor, Outdoor, Parties, Cooking, Alphabet Activities.....etc
Kindergarten Reading Program, Reading Readiness, Phonics, Story telling....etc
Who has the cheapest Preschool Crafts?
Do you have a great idea about some cheap preschool crafts that you've done? Share it here and help someone who needs economical preschool crafts to do with their kids.
Go to top of page - Toilet Roll Crafts
Return to Homepage